Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: A Brief History

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate

A Brief History

Written originally by MICHAEL THOMSEN0 (9/22/09)
    IGN(.com)
    Edited/Modified By Joseph Witzke (9/4/18)
    Some Smal bit of information where taken from
    aminoapps.com
    Any Concerns plz direct to Joe1@Dronezke.com

T
    he "game engine," a commonly used but generally misunderstood, term to describe the tools with which a modern
    game is made. The most common analogy is that of a film camera. Game engines are the central technology in game
    development, the toolset that connects character art, animation, level geometry, AI code, event scripting, and special
    ffects into one cohesive whole

source ;aminoapps.com
    The Worldcraft mapping tool was later renamed by Valve to the "Valve Hammer Editor," and became the official mapping tool for the GoldSrc engine.
    The GoldSrc engine at this time had no official title, and was simply referred to as the "Half-Life engine." Through the process of Valve's forking the Half-Life engine's coding, two main engine branches were created, each of which was used by Valve for different purposes in game development. One branch was titled "GoldSource," and the other was titled "Source"; Games created by Valve that used the first of the two were referred to as "GoldSource games," in order to differentiate between the two engines being used. Not too long after, the title "GoldSource" became something of a moniker for the Half-Life
    engine, and therefore was adopted as the official title for the engine.
    i never really made th connection to valve and um valve i knew it was borrowed from quake because they still have a lot of quake stuff in the menus
    -DroneZke

It Started Like This
    Valve Corporation sprang to life in 1996 when Gabe Newell, a Harvard dropout, quit his job at Microsoft to make
    videogames with fellow Windows team alum Mike Harrington. Working with their own money and a license to use id Software's Quake engine, Valve created Half-Life. Over the next two years, Valve significantly modified the Quake engine to better suit their game, revising the animation system, reworking the AI tools, and adding Direct3D support.Source; Meterial

Half-Life was the debut title of both GoldSrc and Valve Software. The game went on to receive extremely positive reviews and critical acclaim, winning over 50 "PC Game of the Year" awards.
    Half-was followed by its two most well known expansion packs,

GoldSrcs / Half LIfe / Valve
    All debuted In a Storm of positive Reviews And Awards without losing momentum at all. two most well-known expansion packs,
    Half-Life: Opposing Force and Half-Life: Blue Shift. followed right behind

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Des thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate
    Download GAME Note ; This is only a mod for hl 1
    HL:DECAY
    The Lost HL mod has come to
    lgk
    OK
    its not a port its kinda a remkae but that only because it was the only Half-Life; Game exclusive to the PS2 and the last ..never heard about it untill writing this history
    [Half-Life: Decay is an add-on included in the PlayStation 2 port of the first-person shooter game Half-Life, developed by Gearbox Software and published in 2001. A PC version of this game was released September 23, 2008,
    After several delays the game was finally ready for release, but Valve still wasn't done tinkering with the engine. "We found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game," said Erik Johnson, Project Manager at Valve. It was decided to leave the final code of the game untouched, but branch off with a second set of code to continue implementing new ideas and features internally.
    "$Goldsrc" was Valve's term for the code that was already released through Half-Life, while "$Src" was the name for the continually evolving toolset that would, eventually, become Source. While most game fans tend to think of game engines as discrete and stable platforms, the Source engine has always stood for adaptability and continuous evolution. Even before it had its own name and brand, it was considered a work in progress, an amalgam of different elements fused together for gameplay rather than sheer technical prowess.

After Valve's initial success with Half-Life, which sold over 2.5 million units in its first year, they shied away from immediately committing to a full-fledged sequel or a new epic project. Instead, they preferred to focus on mods and expansion packs to build out the Half-Life eco-system. Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, whose company developed Half-Life: Opposing Force and Half-Life: Blue Shift, said Valve wanted to make sure they didn't dramatically alter the core game tools in developing the expansions.

"You may be aware there is a whole community of fans developing modifications and add-ons for Half-Life," Pitchford explained. "Changing the engine risks breaking all of the work these up-and-coming developers are creating."

DOWNLOAD LINKS (i havent tested them)

Decay.exe
    Decay.fdg (Not sure if this is needed to play but this is a game data file normaly for mapping)
    In the years following the release of Half-Life, the strategy of supporting user mods, expansions, and offering a stable technical platform for everything proved to be monumental. The Half-Life version of Team-Fortress formed the gameplay grammar of almost every online shooter since. Counter-Strike became an international phenomenon, played obsessively and competitively around the world, from the far-flung internet cafes of Western China (where I first encountered the game), to the high-end machines of American competitive gamers.

4. Thanks Mr.Bu1ld3R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate
    @DroneZke you need me to read this long paragraph ????

NeVeR , I am just see the photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate
    the sad part is ud pobs enjoy Thats written there its really not that much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate
    nice to see the story behind cs
    i remember that i still have my halflife package with some of the game that has never been use (i only activated counterstrike cd key ) loll---it is almost 20 years old
    i am still amaze to see young players like you who still play ti this old game while there is a tons a new games with better graphics etc..
    .................................................. ............................................................. .................